Lymphedema is a condition in which the arms, legs, and extremities become swollen and enlarged with lymph fluid. Though lymphedema can be caused by several different conditions, it is most commonly associated with breast cancer treatment. Radiation and breast cancer medications cause the lymph nodes to become damaged, impairing their ability to drain fluid from the body. The symptoms of lymphedema can range from mild to severe, and in some cases, the symptoms may not occur until months or years after the treatment has ended.
If you are currently receiving breast cancer treatment or will be in the future, you may benefit from compression garments. Compression garments are just what you would expect from the name—they compress the skin and help to prevent the buildup of lymph fluid.
About You Mastectomy Boutique offers Juzo brand stockings that can help you manage and prevent the symptoms of lymphedema. Juzo is a line of inconspicuous stockings designed to manage or prevent lymphedema as effectively as possible. Many women only need compression garments for some of their extremities, and our line of compression garments makes it easy and affordable to protect any area of your body. These comfortable, latex-free garments allow you to get back to your normal routine without worrying about developing lymphedema:
- Effectively controls lymphedema symptoms
- Breathable and soft against the skin
- Lightweight, comfortable, and aesthetically appealing
- Easy wear, easy care!
- Available with or without fingers
- Comfortable sleeves and gauntlets
You can further reduce your risk of lymphedema by:
- Elevating your arms and legs whenever possible
- Avoiding strenuous activity immediately for several weeks after your surgery. Light exercise is fine, but speak with your doctor before engaging in physical activity of any kind
- Drink water—adequate hydration will help your body eliminate extra lymph fluid
- Do not use heating pads or shower in hot water for several weeks after your surgery
Lymphedema cannot be cured once it has begun, but it can be managed with the use of compression garments. If you’re not sure which compression garment will best fit your needs, come by our mastectomy boutique in Tampa. We’ve helped hundreds of women manage their lymphedema, and we’d love to help you find the perfect compression garment for your needs and lifestyle.